Henrik Wilhelm Söderman

1829–1901.

Wholesale dealer, entrepreneur.

Henrik Wilhelm Söderman from Österbybruk became an apprentice to the tailor Nyblom in Uppsala at the age of 14.

Later, Söderman opened the spice shop and milk shed and also bought some land in Rasbo (seven farms together became the property Henriksberg), followed by the distillery in Lejstabro.

To have your own distillery was banned in 1855 and in 1860, a distillery was taken over at Fabriksgatan 4 in Svartbäcken by Frans Otto Törnlund and Söderman. At that time they had enough tax-coated land to start a distillery.

"Alcohol Money" became a major part of the city's income source and also financed much of Uppsala's industrialization. Examples are the Bavarian brewery and Upsala Ångkvarn, which were bought by Söderman and Törnlund. Uppsala Ångkvarn with mill, yeast factory and distillery was at the turn of the century 1900 the city's largest workplace.

Central Uppsala, with the walls around the Fyris creek, was created during the period 1860–1890 and was financed by sales and taxation of alcohol. In the 1860's there were 29 outlets and 27 alcohol outlets in Uppsala.

Söderman was a member of the city council from 1875 to 1878 and 1883 to 1900 and a member of the Drätselchamber and the building committee.

The gravestone is likely to be the largest in the cemetery in terms of weight and volume.

 

Burial site: 0124-1125

Image description: Henrik Wilhem Söderman, Uppsala ca 1878. Heinrich Osti / UUB. [The image is cropped]
Click here for an uncropped image

 

 

Gabriel W. Gillberg

1801–1890.

Spice dealer, grocer, brewer.

Gabriel Wilhelm Gillberg was born in Tegels Mora in Uppland, became a burgher in Uppsala 1840 and was a delegate for Uppsala Burghers on the Riksdag days in the 1840 's.

Gillberg also restored his residential building at Fyristorg (between Dombron and S:t Eriks Gränd) in Italian neo-Renaissance. This meant that the so-called Gillbergian passage could remedy the city's most difficult traffic problems.

The Gillbergian house at Fyris Torg, before the passage was built in 1934. Photo: Paul Sandberg / Upplandsmuseet .

Painting of the roadway before the inauguration in 1935. Photo: Paul Sandberg / Upplandsmuseet .

In the early 1860's, Gillberg became a donor to the Ultuna Agricultural Institute. He donated a large sum of money to the new building of the academic hospital. It meant that Gillberg was awarded the Royal Serafimer Medal.

After his death, Gillberg bequeathed his assets to the Gillberg Orphanage Foundation. The Gillberg orphanage was founded in 1843 and was initially located at Tullgarn but later moved to Sysslomansgatan. Many of the children admitted were very young and had parents who lacked the ability to educate their children.

 

Burial site: 0103-0178

Image description: Oil painting of G. W. Gillberg. Probably painted by Alexis Wetterberg in 1858. The portrait depicts the Serafimer medal. Photo: Henrik Zetterberg. The painting is located in the Swedish University of Agricultural sciences archives. [The image is cropped]
Click here for an uncropped image

 

 

Viktor Persson

1918–2000.

Antiquarian bookseller.

Viktor Persson, nicknamed "Book Viktor", was a famous bookseller and a well-known Uppsala profile. Viktor Persson lived on Övre Slottsgatan in Uppsala and in the small apartment he shared the space with his aquariums and many books.

He established, with the support of his father archaeologist Axel W Persson, in the 1950s a bookstore on Drottninggatan 3 near the political knot called Bokfenix, which became a meeting point for book friends and students. This led to Persson becoming known as "Book-Viktor" and in several ways he lived up to the name because he had a large collection, and also knew exactly where the books were placed.

Viktor Persson in his bookstore on Drottninggatan in Uppsala. Photo: Rolf Maryam. Retrieved from a almanac printed by RK Press 2003.

Viktor Persson in his "second" Bokfenix. Photo: From private collection.

Persson published some joke books and other curiosities in miniature on his own publishing and the best-seller was Swedish invective (1963), a swearing list that for three years was sold in seven editions.

In May 1980, the 1800-century building that housed the bookshop was burned down, however the most valuable books escaped the flames. Bokfenix eventually moved to the corner Skolgatan-Rundelsgränd.

 

Burial site: 0310-0274

Image description: Viktor Persson outside his antiquarian bookshop at Drottninggatan in Uppsala, probably 1950-1960's. Photo: From private collection. [The image is cropped]
Click here for an uncropped image

 

 

Ester Bobeck

1889–1974.

Self-employed.

Ester Bobeck was called "The Tobacco Queen of Uppsala" and started tobacco trade first in 1908 at Östra Ågatan 27. Remarkably, Ester Bobeck did this at 18 years of age. Bobeck married in 1914 to the officer Otto Bobeck.

She had a aptitude for business and ran the first store alone, which became a meeting point for Uppsala's students. The students came to Bobecks shop to smoke cigar and discuss.

Four years later, on Östra Ågatan 59 in "Seven Hell's Openings", the second store was opened, which ran until 1935 when the house was demolished. The store was well placed because Flustret, the University Hospital and the regiments at Polacksbacken were nearby. Also, Uppsala Harbour was located next to. In connection with the demolition of the house, the tobacco shop was saved for some time in the so-called seventh opening.

Ester Bobecks (then Ericsson) first tobacco store at Östra Ågatan 27 in Uppsala. Photo: From private collection.

"Seventh opening" at Östra Ågatan 59 in Uppsala 1936. Photo: Gunnar Sund / Upplandsmuseet.

In 1964 a Tobacco Shop was established at Fyris Square in the Phoenix House. Then Carl Perschel Barowiaks tobacco shop was taken over.

During these years, shops were also opened at Dragarbrunnsgatan 26, Kungsängsgatan 8, Drottninggatan 8 and Skolgatan 8. Bobeck was also one of the first members of the Swedish Tobacco Dealers' Association and was awarded the association's gold medal in 1964.

 

Burial site: 0102-0136

Image description: Ester Bobeck in store, unknown year. Photo: From private collection. [The image is cropped]
Click here for an uncropped image

 

 

Elin Eriksson

1868–1950.

Merchant, market vendor.

Elin Eriksson and her husband Josef Theodor Eriksson started Stabbylunds haulage and slaughterhouse at Jumkilsgatan in Uppsala.

In the market hall they had sales as well as at S:t Eriks Square where among other things horsemeat was sold.

For thirty-five years, in heat and cold, she stood on the square. Her boots are preserved at Upplandsmuseet (Uppsala county museum).

 

Burial site: 0142-1656

Image description: Elin Eriksson probably 1940's. Photo: From private collection. [The image is cropped]
Click here for an uncropped image